Here’s a fun technique to try! Create an embossed resist background using watercolor paints. Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- your favorite my Stamp BOX stamps
- Versamark Watermark ink or any embossing ink
- white embossing powder
- watercolor paper and paints (palette, pencils, crayons)
- fine point marker or pen
1. Stamp your images using embossing ink. I used the Birthday Numbers set of stamps from my Stamp BOX. I left a spot open for my focal point right above the words in this image. Cover with white embossing powder, tap off excess powder and return it to the jar.
2. Using a heat tool, emboss your stamped images. *TIP: The Basic Grey Magnetic Precision Mat Kit makes a great surface for stamping and embossing! The little magnets hold your paper down while you emboss so it doesn’t blow away. Please be careful – the magnets also get hot when the heat gun is applied! Allow them to cool before removing them from your project.
3. Use a piece of scrap paper or a craft mat under your project. Using watercolor paints, crayons or pencils, apply color in any pattern you like. Here I chose a rainbow swash of colors and allowed them to blend when wet. You could also color in certain images at this point using your desired color scheme. The embossed areas will remain white!
4. Using a fine point pen or marker, outline or color in your stamped images.
5. Stamp the focal point image onto black cardstock and emboss with white powder. Cut out image and adhere to a punched piece of paper or cardstock.
Here’s a look at the finished card once more. I inked the edges of the watercolor background and adhered the piece to a piece of colorful striped paper by KI Memories and a card made from American Crafts cardstock. For some extra sparkle I painted Stardust Stickles onto all the numbers on the watercolor background.
Give this goof-proof technique a try with your favorite stamps and let out the inner artist within you!
Supplies: Birthday Numbers stamps from my Stamp BOX, American Crafts cardstock, KI Memories paper, Doodlebug Designs Sugar Coated cardstock, Marvy Uchida scalloped circle punch, Sharpie Fine Point marker, Ranger Stickles, Crayola watercolor paints, Canson 90 lb watercolor paper, Versamark Watermark ink, Clearsnap Colorbox Fluid Chalk ink